You just launched a blog, or are about to launch it! Woohoo! I’m so excited and happy for you! So what are the things that you need to focus on now that your journey just started/it’s about to start? I wished I did those things when I started blogging 6 years ago since they would have make the process so much smoother!
7 Things to do in your First 6 Months of Blogging
Polish up your blog theme:
I’m about to launch a course about all the things you can do to your blog theme or template to improve your engagement and get more page views. My favorite tip is making sure you are making the most out of your theme. So type your blog URL and give it a look wth a fresh set of eyes. Would you like to be there if that was not your blog?
Look for other bloggers around, search in Pinterest and ask friends. Look for bloggers that are doing things you would like to do that are on your topic, and look for other bloggers that are also doing inspiring things and that are on a completely different topic. Make a list of your ten favorite resources and visit them once a week to stay up to date with what’s happening in the blogging world.
Look for ways to promote your blog:
I talked about the importance of promoting your blog posts on this post about 5 Things I wish I knew when I started blogging nd I definitely stick with it. You should be promoting your content the 80% of the time, the other 20% should be spent creating the actual content. Holy Guacamole that’s a lot of time to promote! So create a list of your favorite social media tools to use, search for facebook groups where you could promote, learn a tip or 2 about Pinterest and overall think of the best ways you can put your content out there
Master 1 thing that will make your blog better:
You are already doing a ton of work and learning a lot of things! But commit to really master 1 thing in these first 6 months. it can be whatever from learning how to take better pics, to really find out how to create a successful editorial calendar. Mastering 1 thing is not only going to move your blog forward but it’s also going to help you become a well-rounded blogger
Engage with bloggers (aka: Network!):
Networking sound like the most annoying thing on earth. I mean isn’t that what old guys in suit do? Well, yes and no. Blogging is an industry + it’s full of really amazing people that want to collaborate + it can get really lonely if you are the only one photographing, creating, writing and promoting. SO get out of your comfort zone and send an email to a couple of your favorite bloggers. Send an email to bloggers who are just starting out just like you and send an email to those who are in between. Ask for tips, share advice, write to say hello and build up a community. Which takes me to the next thing
Write 1 guest post:
I’m not a huge fan of guests post, but when you are starting out and putting your name out there and networking guest posting is the way to go. Loo for a couple of bigger than you online publications that accept guest posts and pitch your idea!
Start to monetize:
While not all bloggers want to make oney with their blogs, and me totally udnerstand and support that I believe that you should earn somethng from your blog, even if it’s only to cover yoru expenses. You are already pouring heart + soul into your blog, and you are already creating rockstart content and evoting your time to make it somethign awesome. Take a loo into some of the blogger networks tthat affoer sponsored opportunities and request to join someo of them! I create a post with my 17 favorite bloggen networks to join if you want to make money blogging in case you are looking for a place to get started.
What are some of the most important things you should do when you start blogging? I would love to hear all your tips + advice!